Sunday, July 10, 2011

My Manhattan

      There are many things that I love about New York, and I seem to find more by the day. Every day that I wake up and see the Empire State Building as I walk to work, I feel a jolt of electricity shoot through my body, I never cease to be amazed or inspired by this city. While there is much for me to love, I wanted to share the parts that bring me the most joy, the parts that make New York my kind of town.



1. Long Island City

     This is the neighborhood I call home. A short train ride to the other side of the East River and you feel like you are in another world. I left kicking and screaming, bribed into moving here by my persuasive boyfriend, and now, over a year later, I would not trade it for anywhere else. Voted one of the top 10 places to live in the tri-borough area, LIC is an up and coming neighborhood with beautiful riverside parks and incredible restaurants.  There are few things that bring me more joy then lounging in a hammock with a glass of wine enjoying a priceless view of the city I love.



2. Times Square and the Great White Way


     The lights, the crowds, the glitter and the gruff, when I find myself in the middle of Times Square on a beautiful night, its magical. There was a time that I dreamed of being more then just in the audience on Broadway, and I don't know that that dream will ever go away. It is a melting pot of different cultures and amazing diversity, people come from all over the world to see these famous lights of New York. From Broadway babies to the Naked Cowboy, the few blocks that make up Times Square are where dreams are born and history is made.

3.  Bodrum



   An intimate restaurant on the Upper West Side, Bodrum is a neighborhood gem and my second home. Run by a good friend, it is a restaurant where you can always be guaranteed an excellent meal, wonderful company and a refreshing glass of wine. Named after a hot spot on the Mediterranean coast of Turkey, it serves all my favorite Turkish cuisine. Its a good thing I like Turkish food so much since it looks like I will be spending a lot of time in Turkey....



















4. The Meatpacking District

   While most of my friends prefer to be in the East Village or Brooklyn, a little (ok, BIG) part of me has a fondness for a little neighborhood known as the Meatpacking District. From W. 14th St to Horatio St, it is such a great mixture of art and style, the best restaurants and high-heeled nightlife, I cant help but love the glamour of these few blocks.


  
So proud of NY for marriage equality!


The Gansevoort Hotel is probably my favorite place in all of New York. My friends might say I am a little addicted, I say I just like a good cocktail and a beautiful view


the beautiful rooftop pool




An inspirational art installation on 13th St.


You cant come to this neighborhood without enjoying some of the best shopping in New York






One of the best parts of Meatpacking is a park known as the Highline. A few years ago, these old train tracks were converted into almost 20 blocks of park. Today, it is filled with wild flowers, lounge chairs and art installations. No where else can you enjoy a gelato high above the streets among beautiful scenery and some of New York's best architecture. 





There is so much to love in this amazing city, maybe that's why Travel and Leisure magazine just voted New York the best city in America. I cant wait to see what is going to be happening next! 



No comments:

Post a Comment